Monday, October 24, 2011

Revision Review

     My first and final drafts differ in a few ways. My first draft was basically the shape of an idea, without any real support yet, and little to no organization. My first draft was also quite a bit shorter than my final draft and missing a lot of key and minor details that weren't added until later on. I didn't make a lot of major revisions, more like I made a lot of minor ones. I cleaned up the grammar and organization, added quite a few details, tweaked some run-on sentences and sloppy transitions, and voila, I had a final draft. Honestly, it was odd that I edited as much as I did, but I deviated quite a bit from my typical writing plan with this paper. I don't usually edit papers at all, what I do is more like a revision. I tend to edit as I write, but with this paper, I realized I couldn't do that because I wouldn't have a rough draft (or a final draft, depending on how you look at it).

     While editing, I noticed that my most common errors are sloppy or non-existent transitions, run on sentences, and the occasional comma splice. My grammar and style tend to be pretty good, its just that sometimes I have an idea and write more in a stream of consciousness style, and the end result tends to need a few commas, periods, and word substitutions. For most of these errors, I noticed them on my own as I was reading over my paper a second time, though peer editing helped me as well. For me at least, peer editing is more useful for figuring out if I'm being clear and concise enough, and if my style of writing is getting my point across, than for finding grammatical or technical errors.
   
     I think my essays strongest point was in all the details I included, and how they supported the main idea of the narrative. The weakest point would be that I may have gone a little off topic and on a tangent with some of the details (they may have drawn the focus away from the main point of the narrative). Overall I think it turned out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment